Embarrassing Golf Moments - Captain Golf

I was recently asked to list my most embarrassing golf moments....my reply with a cheeky smile: ''how long have you got?''

Golfing Nightmares 

We have all been there. Don't deny it, we have all played a shocker.

Captain Golf's Embarrassing Golf Moments

Captain Golf


1. Hit a Tree and went Backwards....2017

I once struck a tree with my shot, the tree was only ten metres away, the ball went backwards circa 100 metres landing near the 4 ball before. Sometimes you got to go backwards to go forwards!

2. Hit a Scoreboard whilst it was being Constructed (ding dang dong) and the 70 year old Caddie then choked on their boiled sweet in shock. 
Captain Golf




Pre Royal Birkdale The Open, as I was approaching one of the greens, it was probably 180 yards away. I was tempted to lay-up and play safety. 

To the right of my eye and the green, the course staff were constructing a score board for the next Open tournament.

Captain Golf: 'I think I should lay- up, what do you think?' (asking the caddie)

Caddie: ' Alright son, I think just get it on the green, here you go use this club'

Captain Golf: ' Are you sure about the Hybrid, not the 4 Iron or go short with a 7 Iron'.

Caddie: ' Dont worry, just give it a good wack and we will be on the dance floor'.

30 Seconds later........the ball goes more to the right than expected, straight for the scoreboard construction team and their nearby transit van.

Captain Golf: ' FOUR.....FOUR.....FOUR.....FOUR......'

Caddie: 'Pal, Pal, help me' as he starts choking on a boiled sweet.

Scoreboard construction workers all dive for cover. 

*****(Ding Dang Dong Ding******* 

Thankfully everyone was ok.

The ball landed to the right of the green and no- one was injured.

Captain Golf: after patting the caddie on the back to dislodge the boiled sweat: ' blimey that was a close call are you ok?'

Caddie: 'Yes pal no problem, thought I was a gonna then'.

3. On the 18th at Royal Birkdale, 180 yard approach shot to the green in front of the 19th hole beer garden. 

Having somewhat recovered from the earlier close call, we approached the end of the round. A magnificent golf course Royal Birkdale.

Towards the end of the 18th, the huge grandstand towered over the fairway, close to the approach/green and also main clubhouse/beer garden.

Captain Golf: 'Ok, we should probably play it safe here, 7 Iron ok?' (asking the caddie)

Caddie: 'Look no problem, use this again' (hands the hybrid to Captain Golf).

Captain Golf: 'Are you sure?'/

Caddie: 'Yes'.

*****(Ding Dang Dong Ding******* 

The balls goes into the empty grandstand, striking the metallic structure, bouncing and then falling out of the grandstand onto the rough next to the fairway reasonably close to the green.

I had to do the walk of shame, no denying it, that was my shot and that was my result. In the glaze of the beer drinkers on the 19th hole, I then chipped the ball onto the 18th green and putted to finish the round. 

Thanking the caddie, a few grins from those onlookers at the 19th and cheeky cold pint later, it was a good round. The good, the bad, the ugly.

4. Passing Through a Four Ball 2019

Captain Golf


Pre lads golf tour in Scotland I decided to get a round of golf in to practice for the big tournament. Having already been to the driving range in Edinburgh, my new 3 wood was 'on song'. It was important to get Links golf practice in so I headed to Kilspindie.

However......playing as a one ball on a congested golf course (that day) I caught up with a four ball who waved me through.

Having played the round really well up until this point, somehow, the ball was duffed 3-4 times in full sight of the four ball. I had barely got past them (they were slightly further ahead 100 metres or so). 

On this occasion, I picked up the ball, thanked the chaps and walked onto the next hole.....nightmare.

These things do happen but in part help make Golf such a great game.

What were your most embarrassing golf moments? You are welcome to share.

Thanks for reading and keep a look out for the next blog entry.

Take good care.

Captain Golf




No comments:

Post a Comment